About Lake District & Chiloe
Volcanos, lakes, rivers, evergreen forests, endemic flora and fauna, nature parks with unexplored areas. The Lake District combines nature, adventure and pristine areas perfectly with the comfort of cities. This area is also the initial point of the famous Carretera Austral, starting just south of Puerto Montt.
On the southern edge of the Lake District lies the Pumalin Park, a privately owned park, preserving Valdivian rainforest including some of the last remaining stands of Alerce trees. The Tantauco and the Tagua Tagua private reserves are other destinations that will take you right into the heart of the impressive and ancient forest.
This region contains Chile’s second largest lake, Llanquihue; the second largest island, Chiloé; as well as the oldest National Park, Vicente Perez Rosales. Along the shores of the Llanquihue Lake are the cities of Puerto Varas, Llanquihue, Frutillar, Puerto Octay, Las Cascadas and Ensenada, towered by the perfectly shaped Osorno Volcano and the neighbouring Calbuco Volcano. In the Palena Province the Futaleufu River is considered one of the best sceneries of South America for white water rafting.
The magic island of Chiloe, located at the south of Puerto Montt, is another highlight of the region. Rich in mythology, forests and isolated beaches, famous for its unique gastronomy and architecture; scenery of 16 churches that have been declared Human Heritage by UNESCO.
- Puerto Montt – Santiago: 1.016 km
- Puerto Montt – Puerto Varas: 20 km
- Puerto Varas – Bariloche (ARG): 340 km
- Puerto Varas – Frutillar: 33 km
- Puerto Varas – Ancud (Chiloé Island): 110 km
Rainy moderate climate. Rainfalls may last various days. Periods of glorious sunshine in January and February.
All year round, although best time is from October to April
- Puerto Montt – Santiago: 1h 45min
- Puerto Montt – Temuco: 45min
- Puerto Montt – Punta Arenas: 2h 15min
- From late January to early February the so called “Semana Musical de Frutillar” takes place in the “Teatro del Lago” showcasing a variety of musical styles.