About Austral Road
The Carretera Austral is the main road that crosses the colossal, open and expansive land of Chilean Patagonia. Here you will discover not only a world of incredible beauty, landscapes that will take your breath away, but you will also encounter a place full of secret codes, rituals and mysteries.
As you advance further and further down the Carretrea Austral you will find that the place exceeds your expectations by far as you will enjoy extraordinary natural treasures that are unique in the world: pristine coastal areas, scenic river valleys, spectacular lake frontages, soaring glacier-covered volcanoes, awe-inspiring fjords, verdant forests, and unspoiled wildlife habitats.
A unique experience is the navigation to San Rafael Lagoon, home to a millenarian glacier dating back 3.000 years. Visiting the O´Higgins glacier from Puerto Bahamondez and exploring the Guatiecas archipielagos are other journeys where you will face pristine lands, a unique culture and a recent history of discoveries, adventures and dreams.
October to April
- Coyhaique – Balmaceda Airport: 15 km
- Coyhaique – Puyuhuapi: 214 km
- Puyuhuapi – Futaleufú: 193 km
- Coyhaique – Mallín Colorado: 273 km
- Mallín Colorado – Caleta Tortel: 182 km
- Coyhaique – Cochrane: 329 km
- Cochrane – Caleta Tortel: 126 km
From December to March relatively warm and sunny during the day, but chilly during evenings.
- Balmaceda – Puerto Montt: 1h 10min
- Balmaceda – Punta Arenas: 1h 25min